How To Link Your PAN Card With Your Aadhaar Card: Linking your PAN card with your Aadhaar card is a critical task that every Indian citizen needs to complete before the deadline. The government had made it compulsory for taxpayers to link their Aadhaar numbers with PAN cards by March 31, 2023. The deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar has already been extended multiple times by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
This is an important process as it allows income tax returns to be processed smoothly. The linkage of PAN with Aadhaar is also required if you are carrying out banking transactions for amounts greater than Rs.50,000.
If taxpayers do not link their Aadhar card with their PAN card, the PAN card will become inoperative from 1st April 2023. Moreover, they might face trouble conducting any financial transaction later on. Thus, make sure that your PAN card is linked with your Aadhar card.
This process is quite simple, and you can do it from the comfort of your home. This article provides you with a guide on how to link your Aadhaar and PAN card in easy steps.
Requirements For Linking The Aadhaar Card To The PAN Card Online
To link your Aadhaar card to the PAN card online, you must have:
- Aadhaar PAN linkage is not done before 31/03/2022
- PAN Card Number
- Aadhaar Card number
- Register mobile number
Step-By-Step Guide To Link Your Aadhaar Card With PAN Card Online
Here’s a step-by-step guide that you can follow to link your Aadhar with your PAN card:
- Visit the official website incometax
- To begin the linking process, click on the “Link Aadhaar” button under the “Quick Links” section of your homepage.
- Now, enter your PAN card and Aadhar Card details.
- Now, select “Continue to Pay through e-Pay Tax.”
- After clicking on the continue option, the next screen appears. Now, you need to enter your PAN number, confirm your PAN number, and any Mobile number to receive OTP.
- After verifying your mobile OTP, click on continue to proceed with the payment.
- Now, you need to click in “Income Tax Tile” to proceed.
- Now, to continue, choose “Other Receipts (500)” as the Type of Payment and Assessment Year (AY) (2023–24).
- On the next screen, the amount of Rs. 1000 will be pre-filled against the Others section. Click on Continue to proceed.
After you complete all the steps above, a challan will be generated on the next page. You need to select a mode of payment and go through an interlink with your bank’s website so that you can make a payment to successfully submit your challan.
After making a payment using the e-Pay Tax service, you can immediately request an Aadhar PAN link in the e-Filing Portal.
Step-By-Step Guide To Paying The Aadhaar-PAN Link Fee Through The Protean (NSDL) Portal
If the bank you are using for payment is not authorized through e-Pay Tax, you can make your payment through Protean (NSDL).
- Visit the official website income tax
- If you have not registered with the portal, please click on Link Aadhaar in the Quick Links section or if you have already registered on this website click on the Link Aadhar option in your profile.
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar Card and 16-digit PAN card number.
- Now, Click on “Continue to Pay Through e-Pay Tax.” Now, you do not need to fill in any details. Simply click the link that reads, “Click here to go to Protean (previously NSDL) tax payment page for other banks,” on the e-Pay tax page to get directed to the Protean (NSDL) Portal.
- Once you click, it will take you to the Protean (NSDL) official website. There, look for a button labeled “Proceed under Challan No./ITNS 280” and click it.
- Now, select Tax applicable as (0021) Income Tax (Other than companies) and Type of Payment as (500) Other receipts.
- Now, you can select the payment mode, Assessment Year as 2023-24 and fill in other details as required. And click on proceed to make payment.
Once you submitted the applicable fee, you can then link your Aadhaar with your PAN on the e-Filing Portal.
Once done with the payment, you can submit the Aadhar PAN link request in the e-Filing Portal, after 4-5 working days of making the payment through the Protean (NSDL) website.
Steps To Check Aadhaar Card PAN Card Link Status
The status of your Aadhar and PAN card applications can be checked online. You can check the status by simply following these easy steps:
- Visit the official website of the Income Tax Department incometax
- Under the heading ‘Quick Links,’ click on ‘Link Aadhaar Status.’
- Enter your ‘PAN number’ and ‘Aadhaar Number,’ then click the view link Aadhaar status button to proceed.
A successful validation will display a message about your Link Aadhaar status. The following message will appear on the screen when your Aadhaar is linked to your PAN card: “Your PAN is already linked to the given Aadhaar”.
When your Aadhaar-PAN linking request is being processed by the UIDAI, you will see this message on your screen: “Your Aadhaar-PAN Linking request has been sent to UIDAI for Validation. Please check the status later by clicking on the “Link Aadhaar Status’ link on Home Page.”
If your Aadhaar and Pan are not linked, a message like the following will appear on your screen: “PAN is not linked with Aadhaar. Please click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ to link your Aadhaar with PAN”.
Steps to Link Aadhaar Card with PAN through SMS
You can also use an SMS to link your Aadhaar card to your PAN card. To accomplish this, send an SMS with the following format to 567678 or 56161: UIDPAN<12 digits Aadhaar> <10 digit PAN> and wait for the response from government services.
For instance: If your Aadhaar number is 123456789123 and your PAN number is ABCDE1234F, your SMS will be:
” UIDPAN 123456789123 ABCDE1234F”
The message that appears once Aadhaar and PAN are linked is as follows – “Aadhaar is already associated with PAN (number) in ITD database. Thank you for using our services.”
The message that appears once Aadhaar and PAN are not linked is as follows – “Aadhaar is not associated with PAN (number) in ITD database. Thank you for using our services.”
Fees For Linking Aadhaar And PAN Cards
The linkage of the PAN-Aadhar card was free till 31st March 2022. However, the penalty of Rs. 500 was imposed till 30 June 2022. But, from 1st July 2022, the penalty of Rs. 1000 was applicable on linking your Aadhar with your PAN card. Paying a penalty of Rs.1,000 and linking your Aadhaar with your PAN card before 31 March 2023 is compulsory to avoid inoperative PAN cards from 1 April 2023.
For Indian residents who wish to file their tax returns, linking your Aadhaar with PAN Card is a simple and mandatory process. By following the steps above, you can easily link your Aadhaar and PAN card in a few minutes.
However, people who are not Indian citizens (NRIs), those above the age of 80, and residents of Assam, Meghalaya, and Jammu & Kashmir do not have to link their Aadhaar card with their PAN because they fall under an exempt category.
Therefore, check the status of your Aadhaar-PAN link to see if your Aadhaar is linked with your PAN card. If it isn’t linked yet, ensure that you do it by March 31st, 2023, to prevent having an inoperative PAN card.
|Home Page Awbi||Awbi|