As the trend of automated smart homes is advancing, we are observing IoT-based automation in a lot of home accessories that we did not expect to see. One manifestation of this is the automated smart aquariums.
In a nutshell, they are an innovation in the area of fish-keeping. These smart aquariums operate on IoT-based systems that monitor the status of the aquarium to keep track of water quality, quantity, and other variations in the environment to maintain optimal survival conditions for the fish.
We will dive into the mechanism and the virtues of this innovation. However, one thing is for certain if you wish for an optimally operating function of any IoT-based system, you need to have a reliable internet connection.
The data about the abovementioned matrices is stored in the cloud-based storage systems using the internet. For real-time and prompt operation of your smart homes and smart accessories like aquariums, you need a seamless connectivity provider like Cox Internet.
Let’s talk in more detail about how smart aquariums operate.
What Are the Operation Components of Smart Aquariums?
Smart aquariums offer certain components that enable the automated function:
- Sensors are responsible for measuring factors like temperature, pH, water quality, and light availability.
- Microcontrollers are connected to these sensors and transmit commands to actuators to take the required actions to create a more feasible environment.
- Actuators can make physical changes in the vessel like pumps, heaters, and feeders based on the data acquired from the sensors.
- Internet Connectivity allows for seamless data transfer and control remotely.
What is the importance of Data Collection?
Vital parameters acquired through the sensors are collected in a database. This database determines the optimal conditions through indicators with the help of an IoT-based smart device application.
This data is stored on cloud-based storage so if you want to review any snags or to determine the benchmark of a healthy aquatic environment. This data reduces the amount of human labor and mental math and reduces the chances of frequent and unexpected death of your fish.
How Does Automation and Control Come into Play?
Having an aquarium, both for recreation and for farming purposes makes for a lot of maintenance. The objective of a smart aquarium is to reduce the labor spent on these maintenance activities and ensure a better quality environment for your fish.
A smart aquarium uses internet connectivity to ensure automation of tasks related to water quality and feed. This is done through apps allowing for the remote control of things like filter activation, feed quantity release, water temperature management, and pH balance.
If you observe the data and spot something detrimental to the well-being of your aquatic pets, you are in complete control to rectify it even if you are not present on location.
How Do Alerts and Notifications Help?
Aquatic pets require special care and constant attention is not always possible. The IoT system generates alerts and notifications to the mobile-controlled software on the device of the owner. When the vital parameters fall out of range, an alarm or notification prompts the owner to intervene.
This can happen due to disturbed oxygen levels in the aquarium water, proving to be potentially fatal for the fish. The delicate constitution of home-bred species of fish makes them especially vulnerable. This strong connection between the owner and the animal ensures life sustainability.
Challenges and Considerations
Potential challenges and issues can be of multiple natures.
- Your automated system is connected to the internet and is susceptible to data breaches. Security threats can make your aquarium less functional. This can result in heavy loss since fish tend to be delicate.
- A smart aquarium is a commodity that is relatively new in the market. They are not always economical or affordable.
- Compromised internet connectivity can render your aquarium to be on its own. You may not always have a contingency plan for this when you are away. It is important to ensure backup systems do the needful.
- Such systems require compatible devices. Based on the system to have subscribed to, you may need to upgrade your smart devices accordingly.
Not only do smart aquariums create a stable and healthy environment, but they are also paramount in cultivating the hobby or profession of fish-keeping. The reduced effort in maintenance allows for more liberty in your practices. This technology is employed in a diversity of aquariums like domestic, recreational, farming, and research facilities. They create a thriving artificial ecosystem. We don’t know what the future holds but the trends suggest that advanced data analytics and integration of AI are due to add improvements to the technology.